Pages

Saturday, February 2, 2008

I'm Just The Preacher

Last night, as I reading my Bible before I went to sleep, I had an epiphany. I am not the Savior of the world! Now, those of you who know me have known this from the first time you met me. But let me explain this to everyone.

I have noticed in my experience (granted, not too much here) that people in ministry of any level tend to feel absolute responsibility for those in their flock. If someone has a moral fall, well then you can blame the Sunday school teacher… After all, wasn’t that teacher in a mentoring relationship? Or when people have a hard time grasping a truth, especially an important doctrinal position, isn’t the pastor at fault for not teaching enough on the topic and to the full extent of his ability?

This past week, I ran across something that surprised me. I found that someone who has attended Eden said something that indicated a possible error in important theology. I say possible because what they said could just have easily been taken out of context. I realize that sort of thing happens all the time. But within minutes I found myself wondering why I hadn’t preached more on the subject. Maybe, I thought, we needed to form a small group to study the issue. Then I started wondering why this person wasn’t growing. All the other indicators of Spiritual growth are present, except this statement.

Finally, it seemed as though the Lord took me aside. I imagine the dialogue as this:
“Adam, take a break from your thinking and let’s reason together” God says that in a Sean Connery voice (hey this is my epiphany, God used things I would get!).
“Now Adam,” he continues “You don’t know what this person meant, although it could be troubling. It is not your job to sanctify them. It’s not even your job to save them. All I ask is that you preach and teach and lead from my word.”
“Okay, Lord. Whatever you say… And thanks.”

Like Paul says, it’s God that gives the increase.

What a relief… I am just the preacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment of question.