Pages

Thursday, November 13, 2008

My Hajj to Huntington-- New Hope Church

The Sunday night before Labor Day, Christina and I decided to go to New Hope Church in Huntington. They were the only UB church in Huntington that stated they had Sunday night services. Now, I don't think you must have Sunday night services. Eden has Bible Study on Sunday nights because in June I stopped preaching in the evening and we switched to something I thought would be effective.

Anyway, the reason we were going is because we wanted to attend as many UB churches as possible. Well, when we got there, we were the only ones. No body else showed up. We were at the right place, but evidently they had cancelled their services. That was their peroggitve. But I was wondering if they even had Sunday nights anymore. Here is my point: Miscommunication is bad for ministries. If the cancelled for any reason (and there are plenty of good ones, I know) they needed to let others know. They have a nice sign out front. They should have used it. If they no longer have Sunday Night services, they need to adjust what their website and the UB website says.

Now I realize as much as any one person out there that un-saved people are most likely to come Sunday Mornings. However, I have learned a very painful lesson in my ministry: When the Church says something or starts something, we have to follow through until we come to a new change of pace or direction.

I know the pastor of New Hope: Bishop Ray S. He is the former Bishop of the UB. He's a passionate man. But my evaluation of New Hope is a C-. They have a nice facility from the looks of the outside, and a nice parking lot; a well manicured lawn, but not much landscapping. They seem to have a decent amount of property for the future. But the communication problem really prevented me from giving a full and accurate report. Hence the C-.

When I come out to Huntington again soon, I'll try it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment of question.