Pages

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Notes From Sunday (3/1/2009)

This past Sunday was a GREAT day! I lost my voice right after preaching in the morning worship celebration, but it was still a great day! God really spoke to me through the message He wanted me to give. The message was called Confident in Christ. The Bible passage was Hebrews 11:1-6--
1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 2 For by it the elders obtained a good testimony.3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible. 4 By faith Abel offered to God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, through which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts; and through it he being dead still speaks. 5 By faith Enoch was taken away so that he did not see death, “and was not found, because God had taken
him”; for before he was taken he had this testimony, that he pleased God. 6 But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.


Here are some thoughts that come to mind when we take a look at this passage:
  • Verse 1 is not a definition of faith. Rather, it is more of a description of what Faith does. This may not help you much, but the word translated as faith in Greek is the word pistis which means faithful but more than that, it means firm confidence or absolute conviction.
  • The word substance means assurance of reality. Why do I bring these last two points out? Knowing NT Greek is not going to radically change your walk with God, but when we understand here what God is really talking about... Wow... We finally get it. Our world tosses around the word faith all the time. "Well I just gotta have faith." That is a common phrase. But the truth is that this faith is unshakable and unmovable. It is absolute conviction that CANNOT change.
  • TOO MANY "Church People" don't have this Faith the Bible talks about. What am I talking about? Don't many "Christians" believe? Duh, they do! But the kinda faith that this passage describes is something that is not doubted. We can have confidence, absolute confidence in Jesus Christ. Too many times too many of us (including me) have a very wishy-washy faith. But the truth is, its not faith at all.
  • We need to be Confident in Jesus, not in ourselves! I have a real hard time being around arrogant and cocky people. It really grates on my nerves. We all get stuck on our selves at times, but I for one hate when I see it in others. The Bible really speaks out against pride. God hates pride because pride prevents people from having a right relationship with God. On the other hand, having no confidence is wrong, too. I am a person that has more often fallen into this extreme. For much of my life I have had little to no self confidence and as a result, many of my relationships with others suffered. I put friends through some terrible stuff when I was in school. Here's the happy medium we need to strive for: We need to realize that we are all messed up people who are loved and pursued by a perfect and holy God. That confidence we have in Him enables us to live a new life and move mountains of obstacles.
  • If We Really Have Confidence in Jesus, We Will Give Him & He Deserves Our BEST! Abel's sacrifice to God was acceptable when Cain's was not because Abel offered God his best. People have always debated and wondered why God chose Abel and not Cain? Was it due to the fact that Abel's sacrifice was a blood offering and Cain's was vegetables and other produce? Not necessarily. All sacrifices don't have to be blood and the Bible doesn't indicate that it had to be blood. No, the main reason, as I see it, is because all sacrifices to God had to be our best offering to Him. CHRISTIANS, DO NOT MISS THIS! Some times we as believers miss out on so many of God's blessings because we refuse to give God our best. Abel gave God his best lamb whereas Cain gave God "some" (not the first or the best) of his produce. When we get out paycheck or whatever, the first check we should write is to God for at least 10%. It's not giving God your best when you chip in $1 at the end of the month when you take home $1200. It's not giving God your best when if you teach in the Church that you look at your lesson late on Saturday Night. God always responds when we give Him our best. It's hard. Abel was killed for it. Yet, if we have absolute faith --confidence-- in Jesus, we can and should give God our best.
  • Without Faith, You CAN'T PLEASE GOD! People, please don't miss this-- You can't get to Heaven without faith in Jesus Christ. You can't have your sins forgive if you don't have absolute conviction that Jesus died and rose again and lives forever.
  • Churches that don't have Faith in the Mission God has given them REALLY UPSET ME! God made the whole universe and created each and every one of us differently; He sent His Son Jesus to die for our sins and now Jesus lives forever. And we respond with INDIFFERENCE?!?!? God is calling us to have great, strong, unshakable, and confident faith in Jesus Christ.

A few other random thoughts going through my mind as I reflect about Sunday:

  • I was loosing my voice throughout the message and my voice was basically gone by the time we left. But, if the early Christians faced lions, I can handle being a little horse.
  • Sunday night I stayed home rather than lead the GROW IN HIS WORD Bible Study. My lay leader and my mother (she's a Sunday School Teacher) did a great job! The day the church can't survive without their pastor for a service or two is the day that church is in SERIOUS trouble.
  • Even though I was sick most of this week, I enjoyed the down time. I didn't feel bad about missing Sunday night. Sometimes as pastors we feel guilty if we're not there all the time. God never called me to do everything. Sometimes, pastors just need break. And why not? Its not like everyone else is always there! Ha ha!
  • God has been really speaking to me lately about giving Him my best. I know I talked about that above, but I am really passionate about that. I'll blog about that topic soon.
  • I'm getting married in July. WOW! I can't wait, but at the same time I am overwhelmed by all that needs to get done before then.
  • If you're in the area, you really need to come to Eden this Sunday! I am SUPER EXCITED to see what God is going to do in people's lives! See you this Sunday at 11 AM!
  • REMEMBER TO SET YOUR CLOCKS UP ONE HOUR THIS SATURDAY. We're "springing forward" so you need to go to sleep a little sooner.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment of question.